Discover a new kind of university, one where scholars, artists, and designers come together to challenge convention and create positive change. Located in New York City, our university takes full advantage of its location in one of the most vibrant and diverse cities in the world. Our colleges include Parsons School of Design, Eugene Lang College of Liberal Arts, the College of Performing Arts, The New School for Social Research, the Schools of Public Engagement, and Parsons Paris.
Since our founding in 1919, The New School has redrawn and redefined the boundaries of intellectual and creative thought as a preeminent academic center. Our rigorous, multidimensional environment dissolves walls between disciplines and helps nurture progressive minds. At our university, students have the academic freedom to shape their unique, individual paths for a complex and rapidly changing world.
With leading-edge faculty and world-renowned alumni, we are committed to developing students who will have an impact on the world and solve the most pressing social issues of our time.
The New School XReality Center is looking for driven and talented students interested in emerging technologies to support the work of the Director at the XReality Center. The XReality Center is a research center at The New School. Its purpose is to advance the study and design innovation of emerging technologies in the areas of virtual, augmented, and mixed realities.
This position will work closely with the XReality team focused on the prototyping, testing and production of diverse immersive media across our various VR and AR platforms. In addition to content creation, you will also be asked to provide support to ongoing projects and workshops introducing immersive technologies to faculty and students. You will be asked to conduct research and do some user testing with new immersive content.
You will be expected to participate in project design and planning meetings and contribute with ideas around visuals, narratives and UX design.
Requirements and Responsibilities:
- Ability to use and test Augmented and Virtual content and gear
- Background in video/digital media/photography/design.
- Video editing skills with Adobe Premiere
- Experience and/or willingness to learn 360 Video
- Some experience with 3D applications – Unity, Blender or Maya
- Some experience with AR applications- Adobe Aero and/or others
- Familiarity with UX and Interaction design experience
- Works collaboratively with faculty and students
- Provide on-going technical support, documentation, training, and assistance to students and researchers.
- Support the 3D development work in the center
- Build, prototype and test in 3D applications and worlds
- Conduct research on the AR/VR/ field by staying well-informed of the latest news, trends
- Organize and analyze research to be communicated via various outlets to the X Reality Director
Project and Events Management:
- Skilled at executing multiple projects simultaneously with efficient time management and without sacrificing exceptional attention to detail.
- Assist with the planning and execution of events workshops, hackathons, conferences; expected to work some evening shifts when scheduled
- Manage asset management and 360° video recording equipment.
- Works collaboratively with faculty, students and staff
- Provide on-going technical support, documentation, training, and assistance to students and staff
Digital Assets and Communication –
Support the XR center with the following:
- Manage digital communications platforms ( website, YouTube,Twitter and instagram accounts).
- Help design and produce workshop and support materials for the XReality Center (ie videos, 3D content, etc). Carry out publicity and outreach efforts when planned.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working in digital media including: blogs, social media, research, and multimedia storytelling
- Proficient in Adobe design suite, wordpress, adobe premiere pro
- Demonstrated proficiency in project management
- Willingness to experiment.
- Responsive to feedback.
- Graduate students preferred but qualified undergraduates will be considered.
Please reference this job listing on hire.AR - it will help the hiring manager organize your application, and it will help grow our community.